Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Post I Forgot to do. . .Copyright !

I am working on the copyright group, and while the subject itself is quite a quagmire, the research with Teresa and Serena has been fun, if a bit logistically interesting!!

I found out some interesting things in our research. As I was trying to get permission to use a song in our PPT, I found out about digital rights management, and that artists can make their work available for download and confer rights of use if they so choose. Thanks, Weird Al!!

Also, I found a copyright book that is actually fun to read. Ok, librarian fun, not fun on the beach, but you'll see what I mean. Copyright Catechism: Practical Answers to Everyday School Dilemmas by Carol Simpson offers 1 page Q&As on a variety of topics that could face teachers and librarians. It is written as a companion to Copyright for Schools, which we all read in LIS724, but in a more conversational style. The situations are very realistic, and the solutions are logical yet concise.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, copyright is confusing and a bit overwhelming especially since it is so often ignored. I am taking 724 now and will be reading the Copyright for Schools book this weekend. I sure am glad that your team will be reviewing it in class as well, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same class as Judith, so I'll be reading Simpson's Copyright for Schools this weekend as well. Once I graduate, I think I'll check out the Copyright Catechism! It could inspire a fun way to share copyright information with teachers.

    ReplyDelete