http://www.istevision.org/watch.php?vid=518605cf6c08c98cca3e3bf6812dcb9860f7dd3c
Synopsis: In a world of learning networks and communities, how do we help our students move from simple sharing to collective action in the world. - Will Richardson, Connective Learning with Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach Tuesday, 6/30/2009, 2:00pm 3:00pm WWCC 146 B
Using examples from Twitter and Wikipedia, Richardson shows how the new technologies actually improve our critical thinking skills. One example was the constant updating of Wikipedia on the day Michael Jackson died; so many users were trying to keep up with the constant flow of information.
He is a former classroom teacher, and talks about how many youths do not have an adult in their lives who do not understand the connective technologies to help them navigate them. He states that the current social tools are mainly used to connect them to people they already know, and in a print based way, and they are now making connections with adults they don't know on an interest based level. Rather than decrying this as a hunting ground for criminals, Richardson points out that there are many potential teachers and advisers for these kids. He makes a great quote about the older generation,(paraphrased) at about 10:22: we don't have the same kind of context for putting these technologies into use as the kids do. Most kids have no adults that can teach them how to use these technologies for learning. The competencies needed can't necessarily be addressed through traditional professional development. Adults need to be learners outside of a workshop. His quote: "We can teach you a wiki, we can teach you how to blog, but we can't teach you how to connect. You need to immerse yourself." They reiterate that by being co-learners with your students, you can learn even more and be as engaged as the students. Nussbaum-Beach talks about the important of learning with sharing our own experience--collaboratively--to make the learning authentic.
I am intrigued by the communities of practice-developing and joining communities for learning. The most important thing to remember is that they must be allowed to evolve over time with co-created content, rather than having everything laid out. The speaker from the Archdiocese of Philadelphia gave some good, concrete examples of using these concepts. The teachers used these types of learning with their students. The students even asked to do more interactive collaborative assignments.
Another important statement was at the very end: these are not just 21st skills, these are 19th and 20th century skills about interpersonal learning.
I only wish I could have seen the PPT a little better.
To be continued. . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I watched the video Information Forensics goes to School. I could see it fine, but the volume was very low.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting your summary of this video. I especially like that the presenters encourage teachers and librarians to learn along with the kids. Many times we think we have to know it all before we can teach it to the kids. Yes, we need to preview things and try it out, but we don't have to be total experts in order to use the technology or tool with our students. I learn a lot from my students when we learn together! Often they have an idea that I would never have come up with, or they give suggestions for problem solving that are so creative. When I have a bit more time, I want to go back and watch this video!
By the way, our educational technology curriculum guy (hmmm... what is his title?) said the same thing to us when we were studying the 21st century standards. He kept saying that we needed to look for best practice in teaching, not just the latest in technology. You are absolutely right - interpersonal learning is not only a 21st skill!
I also agree with your statement about interpersoanl learning. I watched the NECC conference and one of the things that I walked away with is that Library 2.0 is much more than just skills. It is about teaching our students. What and how will these new tools help our students is the question that we have to reflect on.
ReplyDelete