Monday, July 6, 2009

Chapter 1

Chapter 1 describes Inquiry Based Learning and its benefits on learning and the curriculum versus information problem solving. I finished my education classes in the spring, and this dovetailed nicely, bringing the theories learned there into real world situations. Figure 1.4 comprehensively shows how to integrate one's teaching methods into inquiry based learning to meet the learners' needs. The author also describes by discipline how the librarian can aid in teaching each; I had previously not thought about how to assist in math, assuming most collaboration would occur in English, social sciences and science.

The other area of importance was the 4 C's: catalyst, connector, coach and caregiver. I already have seen how a librarian can be the connector for teachers, when we connect teachers working on similar units through the public library. Catalyst just gives a name to what we have been learning throughout our time at Dominican. Coach is the role with which I probably most identify. Many of the librarians I observed would fit the caregiver role, maintaining extra hours at the library so students are not alone after school and offering services during the summer for children without access to a public library.

No comments:

Post a Comment