My favorite quote of all of my classes: Page 42
We have over 400 standards for ten content areas in our state! Where do we start?
I, again as a non-education background, find the standards overwhelming. I hope to get an idea where and how to start. I appreciated on page 44 Implications for Practice: How do we enhance this learning, again with subject specific strategies to achieve the standards. Much of the chapter was devoted to charts and other visuals, which is appropriate, since much of the text talks about helping students retain information using graphic organizers. Definitely drives the point home!
Monday, July 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree, it is overwhelming! I'm thankful that the ISAIL project has at least put the framework together to start to align some of all these standards that we have to navigate to speak the same language with teachers from all the different disciplines.
ReplyDeleteI always think it is best to start small and not try to tackle everything at once. As you continue to work, you'll build things up and encompass more and more of the standards.
Ann, you will also find that you are able to address a lot of standards with each learning activity you provide. If you had to provide a unique learning opportunity for each standard, it would be impossible to meet them all. Best practice teaching addresses multiple standards at the same time.
ReplyDeleteI have heard from a number of different non-school library students that learning standards are overwhelming. As a former classroom teacher, I was immersed into the world of standards as a major part of what I taught and how I taught it. But if I did not have that background, I am certain I would feel equally overwhelmed.
ReplyDeleteThe hope I have offered to the others I have encountered is that, as a media specialist, your experience with learning standards will be managable. When collaborating with classroom teachers, you will have a copy of that grade level/subject area standards, and you will develop your lesson around meeting those standards. At no time will you need to memorize them, have to recite them, or be expected to rattle them off at a moment's notice. When presented in their entirety, they are far larger than the real world we operate in. Don't let them stress you out! They really are a great springboard for meaningful lessons.