Thursday, October 22, 2009

New Linda, new school

LIS 728 Elementary
Oct 5
First day! Get acquainted, and get my laptop. Also got to visit World Cultures class with Ashley (TA). They introduced German words to the students.Also cataloged new books as well as recatalog some existing nonfiction to make collection more accessible for students. This is a continuing project Linda has implemented.Glad I did all that cataloging at Maine West--Sunset Ridge uses Destiny as well, so that transition has been easy.Shelved books to get familiar with the collection. Great collection, appears to be well used by the students. Linda really takes input from the students as to what they want to read.

Oct 6
Started the day in the 6th grade meeting at 7:45.Learned to cover books and make spine labels. Started project of searching for high interest books about various occupations for 7th grade project. Used Amazon and Rosen Central catalog to create a list for Linda of potential purchases.Observed a 7th grade science class with Ashley, helped science teacher collate quarter grade reports.PM Advisory: Linda showed me how Sunset Ridge uses Trappers to keep the students organized. She evaluated each students assignment book and Trapper to make sure students are on task and organized.Linda spent time going over the Dominican paperwork and expectations with me.

Oct 7
Started the day in the 7th grade meeting at 7:45. After advisory I went with Ashley to World Cultures, where the students did German review for a quiz on Thursday. I will be giving the quiz with Ms. Tobias.Completed draft of pizza party invitation.Observed 7th grade science again, will be with students in Special Services while they take the test on Thursday.Lunch with 7th graders who are habitually tardy-punishment issued by Linda. The next few days will be good practice in classroom management, since there are some kids in the class who need it. Linda has a great handle on keeping the kids in line.Finished covering books in the collection pulled by Linda.Oct 8Fiction weeding day!Ashley was out for the day, so I was TA for a day. I went to World Cultures to help give their German quiz, and graded them with the key. I also spent a study hall with Ms Tobias' class, looking over their homework logs and behavior sheet.Back in the library, Linda and I started weeding fiction. In addition to poor condition, we used non-circulating as a criteria. Linda knows her collection and her school extremely well, so she knows what is of interest and what has not moved off the shelves.

Oct 9
This was an in service day. I got to participate in Promethean training. Having never seen how to create lessons for a white board, this was great! After, Linda told me to plan a library intro lesson for the 4th graders. I got started using Prometheanplanet.com. I will definitely include this in my portfolio. The second half of the day was spent in the LC weeding non-fiction. We purged the shelves of about 200+ books, mostly outdated and with low circulation. Almost all of them smelled.

No comments:

Post a Comment