Sept 2
Got to teach the pathfinder http://webpages.maine207.org/west/departments/lrc/Documents%20Pathfinders/English/Music%20Genre%20Pathfinder.htm for Music Genres. It really was fun! I highlighted the important websites, showed them different search strategies, and how to discern authority. Since the topics were not ones to be found in academic journals, I felt it was important to reiterate that they needed to know who was responsible for a site to avoid pure opinions and aim for factual information. Our other classes were on Chicago Biographies, and we again highlighted databases and pulled books to assist in research.
Sept 3
More book talks, this time emphasizing the Hero's Journey. I also added to the resource list Hero in the Maine West catalog.
Sept 4
Linda and I had lunch with 2 English teachers who were looking for book talks (what else?) for their special ed class. In about 2 hours, we put together a cart of high interest-low Lexile level books appropriate for high schoolers. Every kid picked a book and was reading by the end of the period. Pretty cool!
On an admin note, we spent the day cataloging. I'm good at adding an existing copy, but need to work on tweaking those MARC records. All in good time, I suppose.
Sept 8/9
My first bust.
A teacher was coming in to get his students to read outside their comfort zone. I arranged new books in a display, by genre, and got ready to talk about them. All he wanted was to have them browse and upend the library. He came in again on Wednesday, with the intention of book talks, and decided against it at the last minute. So there is a lovely display of books ready for someone to love. Sigh.
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment